Request to Join Python Packaging Mentorship/Training

Hello everyone,

My name is Justin Reid and I’m currently a software engineer working at NOAA NESDIS as a federal contractor working on their cloud migration and I would like to request that I join pyOpenSci’s Python packaging mentorship program. My main programming language is Python and I work with Python packaging & Pangeo libraries like XArray every day, and I want to improve my knowledge of Python packaging, especially with conda and Hatch. I am also a meteorologist so I would like to combine my background in scientific research with Python packaging, which I strongly feel is one of the open science ideas that could help alleviate the reproducibility crisis. So any help anyone has on joining pyOpenSci’s mentorship program and becoming a maintainer I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Justin, thanks for reaching out! I’m the Community Manager with pyOpenSci, and am so excited that you’re interested in getting involved. I’ve shared your message with our current Editor in Chief as well as our Executive Director, and it sounds like getting involved with our Reviewer team might be a great start!

If you fill out this form we can get things moving! And if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask! Any one of us would be more than happy to help out :purple_heart:

1 Like

Jesse,

Great! I will go ahead and do this.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Jesse,

I just finished and submitted my form now. Can’t want to get started!

Have a nice morning,

2 Likes

Hey @synflyn28 thank you for this post. and welcome to pyOpenSci! :sparkles:

First and foremost, i’m so curious - how did you find us?!

It sounds like you are doing some great work. Can you please share with us what your goals our so we better understand and direct you in the right direction?

We are always looking for people with expertise in the sciences and open source to both review packages and even become editors to support our peer review process. And if you are new to peer review but want to try it out, we can absolutely provide mentorship in that space!

My question is however, i get the sense that you are also interested in learning more about packaging and actually creating packages. We just ran a packaging workshop online and will have more learning opportunities in the fall as well. If you are newer to packaging we have a great tutorial on using hatch to create a pure python package here - Python packaging 101 — Python Packaging Guide . we welcome you to go through that and provide us with feedback. you can always ask questions here as well.

Please tell us a bit more about your goals and interests !! :pyos_animated:

2 Likes

Leah,

Thanks for contacting me! I first learned about pyOpenSci through Pangeo since I use those types of libraries like XArray at my work. My goals are to both become a reviewer as well as improve my Python packaging knowledge as, while I’ve worked with things like setup.py extensively, I want to update my knowledge to more modern standards like pyproject.toml and hatch. I come from an atmospheric science background and it’s always been one of my main career goals is to combine open source values with my background in undergraduate research and I think that pyOpenSci is the right group to do this. So any help anyone could provide with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

1 Like